A new term has begun in most schools in Nigeria and some parents are undoubtedly worried about how their children would cope this new year.
Here are some ways you can help your child prepare for the new school year:
- Set up a designated study space: Create a quiet and organized area where your child can complete homework and study.
- Establish a routine: Help your child get into a routine by setting aside specific times for homework, leisure, and bedtime. This can help them feel more organized and prepared for the school year.
- Review material from the previous year: Go over material that your child learned in the previous term to help them remember important information and feel more confident when they return to school.
- Get involved in the school community: Attend parent-teacher conferences and get to know your child’s teachers. This can help you stay informed about your child’s progress and any support they may need.
- Encourage independence: Help your child learn to be responsible for their own learning by encouraging them to take ownership of their school work and develop good study habits.
- Take care of logistics: Make sure your child has all the necessary supplies and that you have arranged transportation to and from school.
- Help your child manage stress: Going back to school can be stressful for children. Help them manage their stress by encouraging them to talk about their feelings, teaching them relaxation techniques, and reminding them that it’s okay to ask for help.
These tips are not exhaustible but with these, parents can take steps to help their children navigate the new school year.