This article is for parents who have children/students that will be writing the UTME this year and what they need to do before registering on the JAMB platform.
1. Get your National Identification Number (NIN): Based on reports, NIN may likely be a compulsory requirement for the UTME/DE registration. In case you do not have yours yet and you intend to register for the UTME/DE, we advise you quickly get it ready. Visit this link: NIN Application Guidelines and follow the instructions to get yours.
2. Create your JAMB registration profile code: A ten-character profile code is now required by JAMB before any candidates can be successfully registered for UTME. To generate the profile code, you are required to send your NIN, through a registered phone number to a provided shortcode. You are advised to create your profile code before registration begins to enable you to avoid the rush and prevent anxiety. Proceed now to Create your JAMB registration profile code.
3. Know The Course You Want To Study: Deciding on the course you intend to study is one of the things you should do now before registration begins. This is because you need time to think before settling on a career/course. You shouldn’t just pick any course. It has to be a course you have passion as well as an academic aptitude for. Please note that for a successful registration, you should have alternative (2nd choice) courses in mind.
4. Know the School You Intend to Apply to: Just like in choosing a course, you need to equally know beforehand the institution you want to apply for. Your criteria in choosing one should be based on whether the school offers the course you intend to study, the admission requirements of the school, the school fees as well as other personal preferences e.g location etc. Please note that for a successful registration, you should have a choice each for other institutions such as polytechnic or college of education.
5. Know the subject combination for your course: Many students make this mistake by choosing the wrong subject combinations for their course. If you want to avoid any form of mistake, use “The JAMB Brochure“, to see the required subject combination for the various courses before registration begins. Remember, that choosing the wrong one can jeopardize your chances of gaining admission. You can read more on how to Know The Right UTME/O’level Subject Combination For Your Course.
6. Ask for Guidance: If for any reason you are confused and need guidance maybe regarding the choice of course or school, UTME/O’level subject combination etc, you can ask those ahead of you on this.
7. Start Studying Now: Finally, start studying now and don’t just study hard, learn to study smart. By now you should know that a good number of JAMB past questions are repeated every year. To study smart, you need to get good practice subject websites such as the one on the myschool website.